Music

Posted in By Jordan 1 comments

I'm back already! Another quick job of getting ready for the day has afforded me another glorious half hour of writing time...maybe I can make this a routine? I've been a little off my writing game the last 24 hours, so forgive me if this all sounds a little garbbled...maybe I can blog my way back to clarity.

This morning, I have been listening to some great music. It is a mixed CD a friend made me years ago....mostly Jason Mraz and Damien Rice. I have a few CDs like this one, that have traveled with me through the years. They are mostly all mixes, and each time I revisit one, I am amazed at its ability to transport me. I move backward through time...back to the last time I listened to it, to the feeling of whatever was going on in my life then. I move forward...into my dreams for the future. I move out of and above my own mind...I try to imagine the worlds, the stories, the feelings that created the songs.

I am amazed by music. I am amazed by the way instruments can explain feelings in a way that words cannot. I am in awe of its power to create and transcend the reality that our world has created with our words. Music reconnects us to some animal part of ourselves...some part that doesn't think, but just feels. And each instrument is a different stream of conciousness...and different instuments can be layered together to create a complex world so far beyond words that it seems futile to try to explain it...all you can do is just feel it. I am amazed by the people who can create this art. And then, there are people who can capture and create feelings with music and create truth and poetry in the words that they add to it.

I could never create anything without the inspiration I get from music. I don't even think I could exist....this world would have beaten me down long ago without it. So, today, I would like to thank music for moving my soul. I would like to thank the musicians that can do it. James Taylor, Jackson Browne, James Morrison, Jason Mraz, Billy Joel, Elton John, Damien Rice, Citizen Cope, Cat Stevens, Michael Scott, Bobby Hough, My Mom...thank you for creating thoughts that don't need words. Thank you for putting together words that make me think and hope and believe for just one second that there might be someone out there feeling what I feel.