On Purpose

Posted in By Jordan 0 comments

I'm reading a book right now that says the purpose of life is to seek happiness. I find this idea interesting and hopeful. I desperately need life to have a purpose. I need to know that I've come to be who I am and where I am for a reason...that I'm not just going through the motions everyday. The truth is, the motions are hard. Even the best things about life are hard...loving a person, acheiving success, expressing yourself. These things do bring great happiness, but they, like other things, are a tightrope walk of designed intention and tremendous effort. And then there are the hard things...the scary things, the painful things. Why participate in any of it if there isn't some purpose...some magnificent and individual purpose just for me?

So...seeking happiness. It seems simple enough. It could be a purpose, I think. I could work through life one day at a time just for the purpose of putting forth a valiant effort toward finding an ultimate happiness. I guess in a way that's what I'm doing, or maybe what I should be doing. But you know what, at the end of the day, I've read a little too much poetry to believe that's all there is to it.

I think finding happiness is just a piece to a much bigger puzzle. I think that the need to seek just the good in things may be a part of human nature that life is trying to train out of us. We can do our best to try believe that we can have mostly just the good things if we are good enough people, maybe even imagine that we have some control over it all...but eventually the hard things are going to beat their way in, and we are going to have to feel them; we are going to have to learn how to deal with them.

No, the ultimate lesson in life cannot only be about how to find happiness. That's way too easy. I think the thing about life is that we just have to learn how to let it be...how to relinquish the delusion of control and try to be the best people we know how to be through everything...to try to carry around and share as much happiness as we can and to be prepared to let life get in the way of that sometimes...to reconcile ourselves with the fact that even sadness has a purpose. I am thankful to have a little poetry to help me deal with that reality...

The Beatles (Lennon/McCartney)
From the album Let It Be

When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
Let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people
Living in the world agree,
There will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is
Still a chance that they will see
There will be an answer, let it be.
Let it be, let it be. Yeah
There will be an answer, let it be.

And when the night is cloudy,
There is still a light that shines on me,
Shine on until tomorrow, let it be.
I wake up to the sound of music
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
Let it be, let it be.
There will be an answer, let it be.
Let it be, let it be,
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be...